Probate is a legal process through which the assets of a deceased person are properly distributed to the heirs or beneficiaries. The court oversees the estate to make sure debts are paid and proper distribution is made. Probate is needed when a court order is required to transfer ownership or to distribute the assets of the estate. Probate is not needed if all assets were jointly held and one of the joint holders is the survivor. Probate matters include:
- Wills (not filed until the death of the party)
- Estates (when there are assets to be distributed)
- Proceedings in Probate
- Formal Administration is used when there are considerable assets or other special circumstances. There will be a personal representative appointed and letters of administration will be issued so that he or she may complete the administration of the estate.
- Summary Administration may be filed when the value of the entire estate does not exceed $75,000
- Disposition of Personal Property Without Administration is filed to request release of assets to the person who paid the final expenses, such as funeral bills or medical bills for the last 60 days. The form required to file this proceeding is available in the Clerk’s Probate Division and available online here. You may qualify for this procedure if you meet all three of the following criteria:
- The value of the assets is less than $6,000
- You paid the final expenses, such as funeral bills or medical bills for the last 60 days; and
- These expenses are close to the value of the assets
Phone – (904) 548-4600
TTD/TTY – Dial 711
Mailing Address: 76347 Veterans Way Yulee, FL, 32097
If you are a person with a disability who needs any accommodation in order to participate in this proceeding, you are entitled, at no cost to you, to the provision of certain assistance. Please contact the ADA Coordinator at (904)548-4600 press 0, at least 7 days before your scheduled court appearance, or immediately upon receiving this notification if the time before the scheduled appearance is less than 7 days; if you are hearing or voice impaired, call 711.
ADA Contact Information
Phone – (904) 548-4930
Fax – (904) 548-4949
TTD/TTY – Dial 711
E-Mail – firstname.lastname@example.org
Nassau County Clerk Civil
Clerk Civil Division Contact Number: 904-548-4606
Probate is necessary when a court order is required to transfer or distribute the assets of the estate. Probate is not needed if all assets were jointly held and one of the joint holders is the survivor.
- The will, if the decedent had one.
- A certified copy of the death certificate.
- A copy of the paid funeral bill.
- A statement regarding the type of assets to be released and the company or institution currently in possession of the assets.
- A photo ID of the person filing the paperwork.
- Filing fee.